National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
Established in 1986, the National Institute of Fashion Technology, famously known as NIFT, is the leading institute delivering undergraduate and postgraduate programs. It is also the first institute in India to award its own degrees in the field of Fashion. Another interesting fact about the institute is that the President of India is a ‘visitor’ of the institute under the NIFT Act 2006.
NIFT is pioneering thought leadership in design through a network of 16 professionally managed campuses. The Campus at New Delhi was established in 1986 in collaboration with FIT, New York. Other campuses include Kolkata, Gandhinagar, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, etc. NIFT has been and still is the pioneering institute in the field of design development and positioning of handlooms and handicrafts.
NIFT has strategic agreements and partnerships with about 32 leading international fashion institutes & organisations that share the same academic direction, integrating NIFT students with the global mainstream of fashion. This helps in international exposure of the students, gaining them the chance to work with international brands and fashion houses as well as broadening their creative horizons.
NIFT offers 2 undergraduate courses across 7 specializations, 3 PG courses and PhD in the discipline of Fashion. The flagship course of the institute is the 4-year B.Des degree program. Candidates can opt from any of the 6 specializations available. Other courses are a 2-year M.Des course, B.FTech, M.FTech, MFM degree programs. NIFT also runs a part-time and a full-time PhD course in which students are provided with a stipend.
|Selection Criteria||NIFT Entrance Tests|
|Application Fee||General: Rs. 2000|
|Reserved Category: Rs. 1000|
|No. of Departments||10|
NIFT offers 5 undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various specializations. Full-time and Part-time PhD courses are also available. The basic eligibility criteria and other details regarding the courses are detailed below.
|B.Des||4 years||Fashion Design, Leather Design, Accessory Design, Textile Design, Knitwear Design, Fashion Communication||Candidate must have passed 10+2 in any discipline + NIFT Entrance Test|
|M.Des||2 years||Design||Candidate must have a B.Des degree|
|B.FTech||4 years||Apparel Production||Candidate must have passed 10+2 in any discipline + NIFT Entrance Test|
|M.FTech||2 years||Fashion Technology||Candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree|
|MFM||2 years||Fashion Management|
● If the candidate has a PG degree in a relevant field, then they must have a CGPA of 6.0 on a 10 point scale (5.5 for SC/ST candidates) or equivalent OR 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ST candidates).
● If the PG degree is not relevant to the field, a CGPA of 6.0 on a 10-point scale (5.5 for SC/ST candidates) or equivalent Or 55% aggregate marks (50% for SC/ST candidates) + 10 years of work experience in the proposed area of research is required.
● CGPA of 8.0 on a 10-point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute Or 75% consistent aggregate marks (75% for SC/ST candidates) + 10 years of work experience in the proposed area of research is required.
NIFT Course Fees
For the academic session of 2022, the fee details of the programs offered by NIFt are mentioned in the below table.
|B.Des||Rs 5.45 Lakhs – Rs 12.78 Lakhs|
|M.Des||Rs. 6.21 Lakhs|
|B.FTech||Rs. 5.45 Lakhs – 12.78 Lakhs|
|M.FTech||Rs. 6.21 Lakhs|
|MFM||Rs. 6.21 Lakhs|
Note: The above-mentioned fee ranges are applicable for Academic Year 2022. They may change with the academic year.
Admission at NIFT for the UG and PG courses are based on NIFT entrance test. However, PhD admissions are granted on the basis of the candidate’s merit, work experience, written test and Personal interview. For 2022 PhD admission, the written test is scheduled to be held on 7th May 2022. Candidates may follow the below steps for applying to NIFT.
Candidates seeking admission to NIFT may follow the below steps.
- Visit the official website of NIFT.
- Choose a campus that is convenient for you.
- Click on the ‘register’
- You need to fill in all the mandatory details.
- Take a quick review to check the details after you fill out the form,
- Now you need to choose your favoured course.
- Upload signature and photo in the format prescribed on the website.
- Pay the application fee. You can do that by online payment methods or via debit or credit cards
- Take a printout of the successful application form for future references.
NIFT provides both merit and need-based scholarships for the students. The details of the same are mentioned below.
- SARTHAK NIFT Financial Assistance Scheme: SARTHAK” NIFT Financial Assistance Scheme is only applicable to all the regular students of NIFT who meet the prescribed criteria. This scholarship can not be availed by international or NRI students. In the below table, you will find the details of the SARTHAK scheme.
|For UG students|
|Parental Income ceiling per annum||Financial Assistance|
|Upto Rs. 1.5 Lakhs||100% of the Tuition Fee|
|Above Rs. 1.5 Lakhs upto Rs. 2.5 Lakhs C.||75% of the Tuition Fee|
|Above Rs. 2.5 Lakhs upto Rs. 4.0 Lakhs||50% of the Tuition Fee|
|For PG Students|
|Upto Rs. 1.5 Lakhs||75% of the Tuition Fee|
|Above Rs. 1.5 Lakhs upto Rs. 2.5 Lakhs C.||50% of the Tuition Fee|
|Above Rs. 2.5 Lakhs upto Rs. 4.0 Lakhs||25% of the Tuition Fee|
- UDAAN- NIFT Scholarship Scheme for Foreign Studies: It is a merit-based scholarship. The amount under the following heads will qualify for 100% financial assistance depending on the eligibility criteria:
- Tuition Fees on actuals
- Hostel/dormitory charges on actuals
- Technology Fee
- Student Activity Fee
- Recreation & Athletics Fee
- Health Services
- Health Insurance
- Travel expenses on economy class (as per actual).
- Visa Fee
- Subsistence allowance
Question. How are the placements at NIFT?
Answer. NIFT has maintained an excellent placement record throughout the years. The college helps students with skill development assistance like:
- Interaction with Industry leaders and alumni in the classroom.
- Sponsored classroom projects.
- Industry visits.
- Exposure to exhibitions and fairs.
- Joint research endeavours.
- The hands-on practical learning experience in the industry environment.
Question. What are the contact details of the NIFT Delhi Campus?
Answer. Address: National Institute of Fashion Technology
Hauz Khas, Near Gulmohar Park
Contact no.: +91-1126542000
The scholarship criteria for UDAAN are:
|Location of the Institute||Financial Assistance|
|European Institutes||5000 USD per sem|
|American Institutes||4000 USD per sem|
|Oceanic & Australian Institutes||3750 USD per sem|
|Asian Institutes||3000 USD per sem|
|Middle Eastern Institutes (Israel)||3000 USD per sem|
Why Join Prerit Academy for NIFT Entrance Test Coaching?
NIFT is the most sought after fashion institute in India. But getting admission to your dream designing course would be very very difficult without proper guidance. So if you are aspiring for NIFT/NID/UCEED/CEED/ study abroad and other private design colleges, Prerit Academy is the place for you. Here, students can avail world-class training programs for various Design entrance tests, be it of NIFT or London College of fashion. With a dynamic and experienced team of design faculty from national and international institutions of fashion and design, Prerit would ensure that skill and knowledge are delivered in a way that the students understand both the theoretical and creative aspects of the world of design. The academy provides:
- Live online interactive classes.
- Offline classes.
- Practice Tests.
- Doubt clearing sessions.
- 1 on 1 Mentoring Sessions.
- Hands-on practice.
Candidates can click here to register in Prerit Academy.